What is Facebook exactly? It is the No. 1 social media network that everyone knows and somehow uses continuously or at some point in his or her life.
What many of you don’t know is that this started back in 2004 as just a simple school-based social network at Harvard University and grew exponentially.
It wasn’t until 2006 that Facebook became available to the public and this is when it really took off. Before that time many of us were glued to our Myspace pages every day. Sorry Tom…we moved on.
In 2007, Facebook launched the Facebook Platform, which allowed developers to create applications on the network. It started to lead profitable business opportunities to Facebook. Then, Facebook Connect in 2008 stepped in to compete with OpenSocial and Google+ as a universal login authentication service.
What are some of Facebook’s key features that make it so popular?
- Uploading profile photo and picture albums to share with the public or with friends and other users can comment on or react with certain emoticons.
- Facebook allows users to communicate not only via comments but also via a live chat feature available on the site as well as on a portable app.
- Facebook allows users to manage their friend list by setting the privacy level of your friends individually or as a group.
- Facebook Connect allows websites to interact with Facebook and allows Facebook to be used as a universal login authentication service.
- Facebook can be utilized as a marketing platform for businesses, government organizations or schools due to its social media aspect of reaching large crowds of users.
Facebook keeps on expanding and offering newer and better services. Who knows what we will get in 2017? More companies are teaming up with Facebook to expand their services globally. It’s no longer just a simple social media website and plays a vital role in most people’s modern daily life.